Got questions on how to submit? Want to increase your chances of getting selected? Read on, dear comic.
What are you looking for in a Standup video?
Something funny! Per the official rules, a stand-up video less than five minutes, non-private and hosted on YouTube, where we can easily hear your act, is the bare minimum. For an exceptional video, consider the following:
- Start right at the action. We don’t learn anything about you by seeing an emcee say your name, and then waiting half a minute for you to walk on stage.
- Open strong: Great videos come out swinging, with a bulletproof opener that sets up the rest of the act. We will probably think your two-minute setup moth joke a lot better if we have something to chew on at the beginning.
- Don’t make it private: Please. You’re great. You submitted. Let us see you.
- Good audio and visual quality: We mentioned this above. Your video doesn’t have to look like an HBO special, but we should be able to hear and see your performance without straining.
- Steady camera: We want to see you make people laugh, and that’s hard if the video looks like Cloverfield.
I have a video, but it was filmed on a cellphone – will that be ok?
See the video notes above. We are more concerned with whether or not it fits that criteria is more important to us than what was used to film it. That said, if you are sending a cell phone video – horizontal is a lot better than vertical.
When will selections be announced?
Selections will be announced as soon as possible following the submission close date. Historically, selections have been made within one month of the close date. Selected comics will be notified via the email provided in the selection process.
Why do I have to pay a submission fee?
Submission fees help pay for the festival. We need to put deposits on venues, merchandise, and pay fees for lawyers and attorneys. It’s not free! Also, thanks for supporting Memphis Comedy.
Why does it take so long for submissions to be processed?
Because we love you. We want to give you and everyone who submitted due diligence. We spend a lot of hours watching and many times re-watching every video, and agonize over the final cuts.
I submitted my video but something went wrong during payment. How can I fix this?
Click this button to submit a payment without going through the entire process again. Thanks for being thorough!
Will the festival feature local comics?
Historically, Memphis comics are featured in the festival as show hosts and organizers, and the majority of performers come from other cities. That said, all submitting comics are judged by the same people and on the same criteria, regardless of whether they come from Memphis or anywhere else. The festival wants the funniest people who make for the best three days, and does not make special considerations outside of that goal.
Will the festival have headliners?
Yes. MCF is currently in headliner negotiations with a few comics that we adore and you will, too. Headliners will be announced when those negotiations are finalized.
I know you guys - do I still have to submit?
Hey there! Good to see you again. Yes, you still have to submit, and thank you for supporting Memphis Comedy.